In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

U23s Report: Ipswich Town 3 The Tigers 4

U23s Report: Ipswich Town 3 The Tigers 4

Trialist Callum Smith scored twice as the Under-23s recorded a 4-3 victory against Ipswich Town at Playford Road on Monday afternoon.

Smith was one of two trialists included in the line-up, the other being striker Jayden Antwi. Callum Burton, Dan Batty and Josh Thacker were also included in Jon Beale’s starting eleven, with Will Mannion, Josh Clackstone, Jordan Hickey, Tom Powell and Elliot Holmes dropping out of the side that beat Bristol City.

The Tigers were ahead within four minutes as Lewis Ritson’s long ball sent Smith clear and he lobbed a shot over advancing Ipswich keeper Nick Hayes and into the net.

However, the hosts were level by the seventh minute when Shane McLoughlin and Jack Lankester combined to give Aaron Drinan the chance to fire a right foot shot low past Burton.

The keeper then made a good save low to his right to keep out Conor McKendry’s left foot strike before comfortably holding a free kick from the same player.

Antwi fired wide from Liam Edwards’ pass for the visitors and McKendry fired narrowly wide for Ipswich.

The Tigers regained the lead in the 29th minute when Batty played a free kick square to Robbie McKenzie and the right back threaded a pass through the Ipswich defence to Smith who converted at the far post.

Drinan had a good chance to level for Town but Matty Jacob produced a crucial block to deny him and Burton easily held Brett McGavin’s header right on half time.

Hayes pushed Antwi’s deflected shot round the post before the Tigers increased their lead in the 54th minute. Batty’s corner found McKenzie and although his shot was cleared by an Ipswich defender the referee and his assistant ruled that the ball had crossed the line.

James Blanchfield fired a right foot shot wide from the edge of the box whilst at the other end substitute Tom Powell fired wide of the near post from McKenzie’s low cross.

Town reduced the deficit in the 69th minute when McLoughlin’s pass allowed Drinan to fire a right foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Ipswich could have scored again within a couple of minutes but Burton did well to keep out Lankester’s shot. However, the hosts restored parity in the 74th minute when Lankester’s shot was deflected to Drinan who fired in from close range to complete his hat trick.

The Tigers grabbed the winner in the 86th minute when Edwards switched the ball to his left foot and fired a shot past Hayes from outside the box. 

Greg Olley could have increased the lead but he fired wide from Edwards’ pull back and Ipswich went close to a 90th minute equaliser but McLoughlin headed just over from McGavin’s corner.

Ipswich Town: Nick Hayes, Dylan Crowe (Kai Brown 80), Bailey Clements, Corrie Ndaba, Ross Marshall, Shane McLoughlin, James Blanchfield (Idris El Mizouni 84), Brett McGavin, Jack Lankester, Aaron Drinan, Conor McKendry (Ben Knight 80).
Subs Not Used: Harry Wright, Alex Henderson.

Hull City: Callum Burton, Robbie McKenzie, Matty Jacob, Dan Batty, Lewis Ritson, Josh Thacker, Liam Edwards, Billy Chadwick, Jayden Antwi (Tom Powell 61), Greg Olley, Callum Smith (Keane Lewis-Potter 81).
Subs Not Used: Jonathan Saltmer, Max Sheaf, Jacob Greaves.