In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Leeds Utd U18s 2 Hull City U18s 3

Report: Leeds Utd U18s 2 Hull City U18s 3

Hull City U18s came from 2-0 down to beat Leeds United 3-2 at Thorp Arch on Saturday.

After goals from Aaron Pilkington and Owen Bray put the hosts firmly in control in the opening ten minutes, Josh Hinds pulled one back before the break before Will Jarvis and Rob Guilfoyle netted in the second half to secure an impressive U18 Professional Development League win for the Tigers.

John Anderson and Richard Naylor made five changes to the starting eleven that were beaten 3-1 against Nottingham Forest at home last weekend with Harvey Cartwright, Henry Curtis, Louis Beckett, Harvey Carew and McCauley Snelgrove all replaced by David Robson, Andy Smith, Harry Wood, Will Jarvis and McCauley Power respectively.

The Tigers got off to the worse possible start, conceding the opening goal of the game after just two minutes as Aaron Pilkington fired home after a Leeds corner wasn't dealt with.

Max Rigby nearly made it two after five minutes. After good one-two play from Cole Gibbon and Ethan Kacuosa, the latter fired a dangerous cross-shot across goal. The ball was half cleared by the Tigers’ defence but only as far as Rigby, who sent his shot just over the crossbar.

However, Leeds did double their lead on the ten minute mark as another neat passing move, this time between Bray and Gibbon, created the space for the latter to shoot. The first shot was initially blocked, but the rebound fell kindly for Bray to fire in from close-range.

The hosts continued to create chances as Gibbon drilled a low shot narrowly wide, before a sliding Max McMillan was inches away from connecting with Bray’s curling cross.

The Tigers gradually grew into the game after a slow start with Josh Hinds seeing his side's first effort of the game blocked by Cooper Skerry. Jarvis then came agonisingly close to pulling a goal back when his effort from a narrow angle after cutting inside from the left came back off the post.

The improvement brought rewards when Hinds halved the deficit before the break. Collecting the ball wide on the right, the winger drove past a number of Leeds defenders before his low right-foot shot found the back of the net via the inside of the post.

It took the Tigers just three second half minutes to level the scores. Wood’s corner picked out Jarvis on edge of the penalty area and the winger volleyed a fine first-time effort into the bottom corner.

More pressure on the home defence followed as Hinds dragged an effort wide of the target when well-placed before a swift counter-attack brought the rewarded of a third goal for the team in black and amber.

After Robson comfortably held McMillan’s shot, the goalkeeper quickly distributed the ball down the field for Jarvis on the left wing. The winger drove into the box, before squaring the ball across for Guilfoyle to tap in from close-range.

More chances came the way of the Tigers afterwards as Power headed narrowly wide before Harry Lovick came close to making it 4-2 sending a curling effort just past the wrong side of the post.

Snelgrove almost made an instant impact after coming off the bench, only to see his header from Josh Ward's cross to come back off the post before Jarvis' cross-shot was flicked away by substitute goalkeeper Matthew Turner.

Turner then denied Guilfoyle one-on-one after the striker was sent clear by Smith’s clearance, before Kacuosa produced a fantastic tackle to deny Jarvis late on as the Tigers held on to register an impressive win.

Leeds United: Skerry (Turner 41), Kacuosa, Rubie, Leverett, Pilkington, Moore, Bray, Rigby (Cuikukwa 68), McMillan, Gibbon, Haugland (Fewster 51’).
Subs Not Used: Littlewood, Amissah. 

Hull City: Robson, Ward, Leake, Wood, Smith, Swift, Hinds (Carew 84), Lovick, Guilfoyle, Power (Snelgrove 77), Jarvis.
Subs Not Used: Cartwright, Rees, Beckett.