In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U18s 6 Bolton Wanderers U18s 1

Report: Hull City U18s 6 Bolton Wanderers U18s 1

Hull City U18s returned to winning ways in fine fashion as they registered their biggest win of the season when thrashing Bolton Wanderers 6-1 at Bishop Burton College on Saturday.

A brace from Rob Guilfoyle along with further goals from Will Jarvis, Josh Hinds, Jake Bayram and Luke Rees sealed an impressive U18 Professional Development League win for the Tigers.

John Anderson and Richard Naylor made four changes to the starting eleven that were beaten 3-0 at Wigan Athletic last time out. Josh Ward, Louis Beckett and Josh Hinds came in for Quinn Thompson, Tommy Best and Harvey Carew respectively while Henry Curtis made his debut at youth team level, replacing Jake Leake. 

The Tigers created plenty of chances in the opening exchanges with Oli Green testing Ellis Litherland from range after Beckett’s initial shot had been blocked by Jack Thompson. Litherland then pushed Hinds’ drive behind before Harry Lovick’s volley deflected wide as the home side applied plenty of early pressure.

And that early pressure paid dividends after just 14 minutes when Beckett's cross found Guilfoyle fee inside the six-yard box to poke the ball into the back of the net.

A second goal followed two minutes later when Jarvis latched onto a loose Bolton pass before racing through on goal and slotting his effort into the bottom corner. 

The chances kept coming for the hosts as Green fired wide before Litherland pushed Lovick’s volley behind. The Bolton keeper then saved twice to deny Guilfoyle, with Bayram also heading wide from Beckett’s corner.

Another Beckett corner saw Green volley over, before the Tigers made it 3-0. Guilfoyle won the ball in the Bolton third and picked out Hinds, with the winger cooly dispatching past Litherland.

In the second half, the Tigers looked for more goals as Jarvis volleyed over from Ward’s cross. Harvey Cartwright had been a bystander for the first half, but had to be alert to deal with D’Neal Richards’ cross before Curtis fired over for the Tigers. 

Ward thought he scored the Tigers’ fourth goal of the afternoon, as he latched onto Jarvis’ cross to fire a firm strike towards goals, but Thompson was on the line to clear for Bolton.

Max Wilcox fired over for the visitors before a fourth goal did arrive for the Tigers. From Cartwright’s goal-kick, the bounce eluded the Bolton defence which allowed Guilfoyle to rifle home first-time.

The Tigers quickly went in search of more goals with Jarvis twice going close. Litherland then denied Snelgrove with a good block save. However, the Bolton keeper could do nothing to prevent Jake Bayram from making it 5-0 with a close-range finish from McCauley Snelgrove’s cross at the front post.

Litherland held Beckett’s shot before the Tigers scored their sixth through substitute Luke Rees. Less than thirty seconds after stepping onto the pitch, the striker was in hand to drill a low effort into the bottom corner.

The visitors grabbed a consolation effort three minutes later as Chris Wild’s attempt was blocked by Curtis, before the rebound fell to substitute Cian Le Fondre who curled his shot into the top corner. Cartwright was called upon to stop Richards’ attempt as Bolton went in search of a second goal.

However, normal service was quickly resumed as the Tigers were soon back on the attack. Litherland was on hand to beat away Carew’s attempt, before Rees saw his shot blocked by Beardsworth. The substitute then headed over Ward’s cross, before Beckett saw an attempt well-saved on that proved to the final action. 

Hull City: Cartwright, Ward, Curtis, Beckett, Swift, Bayram, Hinds, Lovick, Guilfoyle (Rees 73), Green (Snelgrove 46), Jarvis (Carew 73).
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Power. 

Bolton Wanderers: Litherland, Brown, Boardman, Tweedley, Thompson, Colvin (Beardsworth 54), Wild, Pettifer, Richards, Wilcox, Conway (Le Fondre 68).
Subs Not Used: Howarth, Martins.