In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Birmingham City U18s 0 Hull City U18s 3

Report: Birmingham City U18s 0 Hull City U18s 3

Hull City U18s registered their first away points of the season with a 3-0 victory over Birmingham City on Saturday.

Goals from Quinn Thompson, Jake Leake and Josh Hinds secured a fully deserved three points for the Tigers following an impressive display at the Trillion Trophy Training Centre. 

John Anderson and Richard Naylor made one change to the side that beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 last time out. Harry Lovick return to the starting line-up after completing a one-match suspension with McCauley Power dropping to the bench. Rob Guilfoyle and Hinds were also called into the squad for the first time this season after recovering from injury. 

It was the Tigers who created the first attempt of the game when Will Jarvis headed wide from Tommy Best’s cross before the hosts' first opportunity came when Remi Walker fired over from a free-kick.

After a solid start, the Tigers grabbed a 20th-minute lead. Leake's free-kick caused confusion in the Blues' box as Lucas Powell was caught in two minds as he controlled a free-kick with his chest; he elected to play the ball back to Aaron Clayton but underhit it, allowing Quinn Thompson to dash in and fire home from close-range.

The hosts tried to respond instantly through Kyle Hurst, but his effort was blocked by Jake Bayram before Leake produced a fine tackle to stop Marcel Oakley getting a shot away. Birmingham continued to push for the equaliser with Yoane Zahore twice heading over in quick succession.

Despite the home side's chances, it was the Tigers who scored again before half-time. Harry Wood’s corner picked out Leake amid a clutch of bodies in the box and he rose highest to head home his first goal of the season.

In the second half, Birmingham came out fighting and created a host of chances as they looked to find a way back into the game. Amari Miller’s first shot was well held by David Robson before the winger saw second curling effort come back off the post.

Tate Campbell was next to take aim for the Blues, firing over after a good driving run before Robson held another Miller attempt. Campbell then volleyed wide from Walker’s corner as Birmingham continued to press. 

The Tigers were still a threat going forward though and came agonisingly close to grabbing a third goal when Thompson broke down the right-wing before whipping a low cross across goal which Jarvis - sliding in - could only poke wide.

Miller fired another attempt over Robson’s bar before, at the other end, substitute Guilfoyle stung the palms of Aaron Clayton following good work from Matty Swift. 

The Tigers scored their third seven minutes from time. A training ground free-kick routine led to Wood curling an effort towards goal. His shot was well saved by Clayton, but the rebound fell kindly to Hinds, who made no mistake on his first appearance of the season.

There was still time for Robson to produce some heroics to preserve the clean sheet, first beating away Walker’s near-post attempt before saving his best for last when somehow blocking Nick Kinina’s close-range effort.

Birmingham City: Clayton, Oakley, Powell (Dugmore 46), Craig, Kinina, Djurovic, Walker, Campbell, Zohore (Williams 61), Hurst, Miller.
Subs Not Used: Rouse, Traore, Nguepissi. 

Hull City: Robson, Thompson, Leake, Wood (Beckett 89’), Swift, Bayram, Carew (Hinds 64), Best, Rees (Guilfoyle 61), Jarvis, Lovick.
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Power.