In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

ERSCF Report: The Tigers 2 Bridlington Town 1

ERSCF Report: The Tigers 2 Bridlington Town 1

Goals from Max Sheaf and Keane Lewis-Potter helped the Tigers regain the ERCFA Senior Cup with a 2-1 victory against Bridlington Town at the Roy West Centre on Tuesday night.

Jon Beale’s side consisted mainly of players from the under 18 squad, the two exceptions being Will Mannion and Lewis Ritson, as they looked to avenge defeat to the Seasiders in last season's final.

The Tigers made the early pressing as Jacob Greaves fired off target before Lewis-Potter saw his shot tipped over by Brid keeper Jody Barford.

Mannion was called into action for the first time of the evening to make a good save low to his left to turn away Sutton’s shot from the edge of the box whilst back at the other end Ritson saw his header deflected for a corner. 

Lewis-Potter fired a shot high over the bar before City opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. Dan Hawkins and Lewis-Potter combined to tee-up Sheaf who took a touch before curling a sublime shot into the top corner from just outside the box.

Chris Jenkinson levelled the scored just two minutes late, bundling the ball home from close-range, but the Tigers responded fantastically to the disappointing to restore the lead on the half-hour mark. Jacob Greaves sumptuous pass found the run of Lewis-Potter inside the box and he produced a fine first-time finish to fire the ball past Jody Barford.

Lewis-Potter went close to adding to City’s lead when his free kick smacked against the top of the crossbar, whilst the Seasiders could have gone into the break on level terms but Bradshaw’s effort was blocked by Mannion.

Sutton had a couple of chances early in the second period but both were held by Mannion. Jake Day was off target with a header from a Danny Buttle cross before the Brid striker fired just wide of the near post.

Sheaf had a chance for City but his free-kick was just wide of Barford’s right-hand post. Brid were reduced to ten men in the 76th minute when James Williams brought down Hawkins with the Tigers' winger bearing down on goal. 

The offence was just outside the box and from the resulting free-kick, Lewis-Potter’s fired inches over the crossbar, whilst substitute Rob Guilfoyle could have increased his side's lead but his strike was tipped round the post by Barford. 

Despite being a man down the cup-holders were not going to relinquish the trophy without a fight and they bombarded the City goal in the closing minutes.

Mannion made a superb save low to his left to deny James Faulkner and from the resulting corner made an outstanding double save. Jenkinson’s header was destined for the top corner until the City keeper tipped it onto the crossbar and then recovered in time to push the ball away before the Brid defender could force in the rebound.

With the Seasiders pressing forward the Tigers caught them on the break but Guilfoyle was denied by Barford once again. However, there was barely enough time for the corner to be taken before the referee’s whistle confirmed the young Tigers as the East Riding County Football Association Senior Cup winners.

Bridlington Town: Jody Barford, Lewis Dennison, Danny Buttle (Chris Adams 84), Rikki Paylor, Chris Jenkinson, James Williams, Andy Norfolk (James Faulkner 74), Tim Taylor, Jake Day, Gary Bradshaw, Joel Sutton.
Subs Not Used: Alex Knaggs, Jonathan Blakeston, Anthony Bowsley.

Hull City: Will Mannion, Jake Nicholls, Matty Jacob, Jacob Greaves, Lewis Ritson, Josh Thacker, Dan Hawkins, Max Sheaf, Elliot Holmes, Will Taylor (Rob Guilfoyle 73), Keane Lewis-Potter.
Subs Not Used: Harrison Foulkes, Ben Adamson, Jay Rouse, Jake Bayram.