In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

U23s Report: The Tigers 1 Charlton 1

U23s Report: The Tigers 1 Charlton 1

The Under-23s gained their first point of the season with Greg Luer's goal being enough to see them earn a 1-1 draw with Charlton Athletic at North Ferriby on Monday night.

There were five changes to the side that started the game at Colchester a week earlier. Callum Burton took over from David Marshall in goal with Brian Lenihan replacing James Yates at right back. Dan Batty, James Weir and Luer came into the side with Tom Dyson, Ben Hinchliffe and Liam Edwards omitted.

The visitors started the game strongly with Aaron Barnes flashing a right foot shot across goal before they took the lead in the eighth minute. Reeco Hackett-Fairchild's pass sent Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu clear and he placed his shot low past Burton.

The Tigers had a great chance to level when Brandon Fleming's cross-field pass found Lenihan on the right and from his cross Greg Olley headed wide of the post.

However, the home side did restore parity in the 33rd minute when Will Annan did well on the left and his cross was helped on by Tyler Hamilton and Luer swept the ball into the net from close range.

Charlton could have regained the lead within a minute but Burton beat away Louis-Michel Yamfam's shot at his near post before the goalkeeper made a much easier save from Hackett-Fairchild's tame effort.

Just before the break Charlton thought that they should have had a penalty when Sarpong-Wiredu went down in the box but the referee ruled that it was a dive and booked him for simulation.

The Tigers could have taken the lead within a minute of the re-start when Annan's flick sent Luer racing through the left channel but Charlton keeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer made a good low save at his near post. Josh Clackstone then went close but his header from a Dan Batty corner flew wide of the post.

Charlton had chances to regain the lead but Hackett-Fairchild headed wide from a good position, Yamfam fired wide from the edge of the box and Sarpong-Wiredu somehow couldn't find the target from just six yards.

The home side then returned to the attack with Olley having a good shot blocked by Maynard-Brewer who then also held a Robbie McKenzie header from Annan's cross.

Hackett-Fairchild's left foot strike forced Burton into a good save low to his left before the keeper had to be alert to keep out substitute Alfie Doughty's shot at his near post.

The Tigers also had a chance for a substitute to grab a winner but Hinchliffe glanced his header wide from Olley's cross.
Hull City: Callum Burton, Brian Lenihan, Brandon Fleming, Dan Batty, Robbie McKenzie, Josh Clackstone, Tyler Hamilton, James Weir (Ben Hinchliffe 72), Greg Luer, Greg Olley, Will Annan.
Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Ellis Barkworth, James Yates, Tom Powell.

Charlton Athletic: Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Aaron Barnes, Archie Edwards, Taylor Maloney, Kenneth Yao, Ryan Blumberg, Anfernee Dijksteel, George Lapslie, Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, Loius-Michel Yamfam (Alfie Doughty 75), Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu (Terrique Anderson 89).
Subs Not Used: Jordan Beeney, Jamie Mascoll, Matt Carter.