In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

U23s Report: Colchester Utd 2 The Tigers 0

U23s Report: Colchester Utd 2 The Tigers 0

The Under-23s' frustrating start to the new campaign continued as they were beaten 2-0 by Colchester United at Florence Park on Monday afternoon.

After fielding an Under-18 side for the defeat against Watford it was a more familiar line-up that started this game. David Marshall returned from injury to take his place between the sticks. Brandon Fleming, Robbie McKenzie, Josh Clackstone, Tyler Hamilton, Greg Olley and Will Annan, who all started the Carabao Cup game at Doncaster, returned to Under-23 action.

Neither side managed a meaningful shot at goal in the opening stages of the game and it wasn't until the 18th minute that Annan saw his right foot shot from the edge of the box smack against the post.

Annan's through ball then created a chance for Liam Edwards but his shot was beaten away by Colchester keeper Daniel Wilkes. The hosts' first effort on target came from Elijah Phipps but his shot was easily saved by Marshall.

Hamilton fired over the bar from an Olley pass, Annan forced Wilkes into a save low to his left and Fleming saw a low left foot strike saved as the Tigers created the majority of the chances but were unable to break the deadlock.

Marshall saved from Tarryn Allarahkia after he had turned on the edge of the box before Hamilton and James Yates combined down the right to create an opening for Edwards, but he could hook a left foot shot just over the bar from the edge of the box.

Callum Jones fired high and wide for Colchester before Marshall made a good save to deny Phipps after the Tigers had conceded possession in their own half. From the resulting corner William Wright headed high over the bar.

The Tigers had enjoyed more possession and chances in the first half but the second period was a different story. Marshall made a smart save low to his left to push away Phipps' close range effort before Colchester took a 58th-minute lead.

A corner was only half cleared and neat footwork from Phipps created the space for him to fire a low shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

The hosts could have doubled their lead just minutes later but George Brown's shot from outside the box cannoned back off the crossbar.

Marshall saved easily from Jones, whilst at the other end, Wilks was quickly off his line to deny Edwards before the Tigers fell further behind in the 70th minute. A free-kick was played down the right and Jones cut inside before finding the bottom corner.

Marshall held a Charley Edge free-kick before the Tigers' final chance of the afternoon saw Annan cross for Tom Powell who hooked a right foot shot over the bar.
Colchester United: Daniel Wilks, William Wright, Osase JJ Wilson (Callum Sturgess 52), Robert Howard, Daniel Jefferies, Oliver Kensdale, George Brown, Charley Edge, Callum Jones, Elijah Phipps (Reuben Mudd 80), Tarryn Allarahkia (Dean Ager 80).
Subs Not Used: Dominic Kurasik, Ryan Clampin.

Hull City: David Marshall, James Yates, Brandon Fleming, Tom Dyson (Lewis Ritson 72), Robbie McKenzie, Josh Clackstone, Tyler Hamilton, Greg Olley, Liam Edwards (Tom Powell 72), Will Annan, Ben Hinchliffe.
Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Ellis Barkworth, Elliot Holmes.